ZF Test Engineer in Northville, Michigan
Position Summary: The Test Engineer is responsible for testing, validation, and qualification activities, to ensure that Axle Drive products meet customer specifications, and maintain company standards. In addition, the test Engineer is responsible for serving as a technical liaison for test activities in order to support internal and external customers.
• Establish and develop product Testing operations within the region in order to provide support to internal production facilities and leverage central development functional expertise/capabilities.
• Strengthen Axle and Axle Drive Product specific Test Know-How
• Perform test validation and related engineering analysis with regards to component and dynamometer load tests on electrical test bench.
• Serve as a liaison for global development projects between Northville, MI and the base development team located in Germany.
• Execute and document all test activities including the definition and analysis of test plans, test procedures, and work orders for lab technicians.
• Align validation process with the design engineering team; support development and customer activities in collaboration with global development and resident engineering teams.
• Support and develop processes to improve the product quality and efficiency of the engineering process.
• Develop and manage test guidelines to improve the testing engineering processes.
• Participate in continuous improvement programs and provide support to team efforts.
• Work in alignment with worldwide established EA Testing standards regarding Setups, Equipment, Documentation and Reporting
• Work in close collaboration with the EADT Test Team located in Germany
• Provide assistance to design, plant engineering and other functions
• Prepare and summarize reports, presentations and data
• Participate in meetings with customers and suppliers as needed
• Maintain upcoming test requirements, as well as software, and ensure equipment calibration and maintenance schedules are met.
• Issue Order Requisitions in order to maintain Testing equipment.
• Support the Assembly Plant in production-related investigations in terms of quality issues, process-changes or launch of new variants as needed
• Program and operate the axle drives test bench.
• Support other activities as needed
• Maintain a safe, clean, productive work environment satisfying ZF quality standards and policy.
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, formal training, reviewing professional publications, establishing and expanding professional networks, and participating in professional societies to improve awareness/understanding of state-of-the-art testing equipment/methods.
• Ensure departmental compliance with all IATF16949 and ISO-14001 requirements, ZF corporate policies, and divisional directives; initiate and support the development of new procedures if necessary.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related Engineering field
• 3-4 years of experience in powertrain testing / product development environment in the automotive industry
• Proficient with Microsoft Office software and related testing software
• Ability to influence and engage at multiple levels within internal and external organizations
• English language competency
• Ability / willingness to travel both domestically and internationally (10%)
Preferred Skills and experience:
• Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering
• Knowledge of 5S and Six Sigma problem-solving methodology
• TS16949 awareness training
• 3+ years of experience with drive-axle technology
• Powertrain NVH analysis
• Spanish and/or German Language Skills
ZF North America, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. ZF North America, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. ZF North America, Inc. expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ZF North America, Inc. employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.