ZF Application Design Engineer in Northville, Michigan
Application Design Engineer
Position Summary: The Application Design Engineer is the customer contact for all design related topics. They are responsible for executing and ensuring the on-time development of reliable transmission applications, manufacturability of new or modified products, meeting customer specifications, and maintaining company standards. In addition, they support internal departments with business development, capacity, and continuity.
• Support customer(s) with all design related topics (e.g. license support, quality issues, cost down workshops).
• Perform/direct all necessary calculation/design studies to define a functional transmission application.
• Define, design, and release modifications to parts and customer specific parts for existing base transmissions.
• Manage design-related timelines to ensure on-time delivery of transmission design documentation.
• Check customer specifications for completeness/feasibility and ensure implementation.
• Follow the design procedures and specifications established by division R&D.
• Execute the on-time delivery of new and updated drawings and bills of material (BOMs).
• Support System and Design FMEA with engineering quality department.
• Perform design engineering and related analysis as required to support internal and external customers.
• Support internal departments in obtaining customer approval for design changes and deviations.
• Support calibration, controls, prototyping, component, transmission testing and vehicle launch activities.
• Work with customers, suppliers and internal departments, such as sales, purchasing and quality, on design topics (i.e. definition of specifications, input for calculations, technical release of deviations, etc.).
• Work with ZF Global R&D and other engineering teams (program management, test, plant and resident).
• Ensure completion of all 8-Ds for design-development issues.
• Participate in continuous improvement programs and support team efforts.
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, formal training, reviewing professional publications, establishing and expanding professional networks, and participating in professional societies.
• Ensure departmental compliance with all TS16949 policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• B.S. in Engineering (Mechanical preferred)
• 2+ years of experience in applications engineering or product design/development (specifically within the automotive industry)
• Proficient with Microsoft Office software
• Ability to interface with cross-functional teams and all levels of personnel/management
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Able to work independently manage multiple responsibilities (i.e. self-starter, self-motivated)
• English language competency
• Ability/willingness to travel (up to 25%)
Preferred Skills and experience:
• Master’s Degree in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Software, etc.)
• 5+ years of experience as a product engineer or design engineer within a powertrain development and/or manufacturing environment (specifically within a powertrain and/or automotive context)
• Knowledge of 5S and Six Sigma problem-solving methodology
• TS16949 awareness training
• Experience in Automotive industry
• Spanish and/or German Language Skills
ZF North America, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. ZF North America, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. ZF North America, Inc. expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ZF North America, Inc. employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.