ZF Airbag Safety ASIC Development Engineer in Farmington Hills, Michigan
Airbag Safety ASIC Development Engineer
Division A - GEE – Engineering – Electronics
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Department: Passive Safety Core Comp
Division: Electronics Engineering
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Required Experience: 10+ Years
Cognitive Safety Systems’ remarkable power to help keep people safer relies on a suite of sensors and advanced electronics that make vehicles smarter. We create intelligent systems that enhance the safety of pedestrians, drivers and passengers by combining our active and passive technologies. Using proprietary algorithms, these intelligent systems sense, calculate and adapt to help drivers avoid or mitigate an accident. Incorporating this advanced awareness yields a higher level of safety, efficiency, comfort and convenience.
Essential to the success of these systems are highly sophisticated and technologically advanced ASICs (application specific integrated circuits) which improve overall system performance, while reducing size, weight and cost. Maintaining a competitive advantage requires the best and most innovative engineers to develop these ASICs.
The responsibilities in ZF's Global Electronics Engineering – Semiconductor Core Development team include the development of Application Specific Integrated Circuits (ASIC) and Application Specific Standard Products (ASSP) for the Airbag electronics products
• Work within the ZF ASIC team while developing expertise and ownership of key ASIC circuit blocks.
• Architectural development and specification construction
• Functional and safety verification including developing test requirements, perform testing and test oversight.
Analyze results of testing, resolve issues, provide design direction for corrective actions.
• Interacting heavily with ASIC supplier design team, testing and safety organizations to guide, review, and approve design implementation activities, perform safety analysis, confirm specification compliance, resolve issues, and support device returns analysis.
• Interfacing with the ZF core and application module engineers to gather requirements, provide expert development and integration support, and verify the ASIC within an ECU.
• Participation in cross organizational teams to establish strategic plans in the area of ASIC and architectures development and application of best practices across product lines.
• Support in implementing and maintaining a world class ASIC development process for ZF.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering required. Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
• 10 + years of mixed signal ASIC development/design and/or automotive electronic design experience; experience with automotive ASIC, ASSP, or FPGA development preferred.
• Strong laboratory skills with experience interfacing to embedded systems.
• Experience with validation of analog and digital circuits/systems.
• Experience with automotive safety methods (FMEA, FTA) and familiarity with functional safety standard ISO 26262 highly preferred.
• Familiarity with semiconductor industry trends and best practices (continuous improvement, zero defect, quality processes, AEC-Q100, state of the art testing and manufacturing, etc.).
• Highly motivated and able to work with little direct oversight in a collaborative environment.
• Strong time management skills.
• Excellent communication/networking skills.
• Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
• Proficient using spreadsheets, word processing, simulation/analysis software, and ECAD tools.
• Experience managing subcontracted engineering resources (e.g. for analysis and verification work) desired.
• Familiarity with Hardware Description Languages such as VHDL or Verilog and verification/validation of ASIC design desired.
Direct Reports: 0
Travel Requirements: Minimal domestic and international travel. cb
Required Education and Experience
Bachelors Degree in Engineering required
Masters Degree is desired
Experience and Skill Requirements
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Disability/Veteran